Flush the BCS and get a real Playoff

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Paully_44
Established Member

Flush the BCS and get a real Playoff

Postby Paully_44 » November 7th, 2005, 10:30 am

I say its about time that the BCS hooey gets tanked and a real playoff system be instituted.

Rank School Record LW

1 USC 9-0 1
2 Texas 9-0 2
3 Miami 7-1 5
4 Alabama 9-0 4
5 LSU 7-1 6
6 Penn State 9-1 10
7 Notre Dame 6-2 8
8 Virginia Tech 8-1 3
9 Georgia 7-1 11
10 Ohio State 7-2 12

How can Miami jump over Alabama who is undefeated with less games played.

How in the world of anything pigskin sacred can Notre Dame, (at 6-2) still be in the top 10? So what if the beat the Vols. Most teams are this year.

I was really sorry to see UCLA & VT lose. I really wanted to finish up the year with 4 undefeated teams.
Let the wild rumpus start!

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 7th, 2005, 10:35 am

It is all just a beauty contest until the NCAA goes to a playoff. There's NEVER been an NCAA college football champion. Ever. The whole thing is just an exhibition until a playoff is in place. And, I'm from the school that claims 12 national championships, all beauty pageants.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Paully_44
Established Member

Re: Flush the BCS and get a real Playoff

Postby Paully_44 » November 8th, 2005, 12:07 pm

Michael wrote:So how would they do it? How would they come up with an equitable way of deciding on the season schedule to determine which teams belong in the playoff

If I had the working answer to that question, I'd be retired on a remote island somewhere.

I just hate the "crowning of a national champion" when the system is so faulty. I am not sure how a meaningful playoff could be established without extending the season to far. Not sure how the Division II schools do it, they have a playoff system if I remember correctly.

If I was incharge, I'd scrap the whole BCS and go back to the old ways of doing the Bowls.... at least until a playoff system is in place.

EagerBeaver
--== J2 ==--

Postby EagerBeaver » November 9th, 2005, 3:01 am

Well give me all the cash and let me go retire on an island somewhere.

Just make the playoff system similar to the NCAA Tournament (basketball of course). Have a Selection Sunday with playoff seeding determined by committee. It would be interesting. At least for a start.
Chris Brewer - My Website

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 9th, 2005, 4:47 am

DII does have a playoff. My alma mater, University of North Alabama, won 3 straight DII football championships in the 1990's.

It is a regional seeding, much like the Big Dance. Here's the playoff bracket for this year.

No reason why D1 can't do this. They could have an 8 team playoff. The first round could be the week after Christmas (no classes missed.) The semis could be the next week (still no classes missed). The championship game could be the week before the Super Bowl (one week of classes missed). The hoops teams that go to the NCAA tourney miss more classes than this scheme would call for. The 'academic' reasons for not having a playoff just don't fly.

All other of the meaningless but fun bowl games could go on as always. The BCS bowls now could still rotate the championship game, and the non-championship bowls each year could be the semis and one of the first rounders. Maybe even add 3 bowls (Cotton, Gator, and ???) so the first round could be all 'bowls'.
Human government bears the same relation to hell as the church bears to heaven. (David Lipscomb, On Civil Government, 72).

Mole_J
I can see clearly now!

Postby Mole_J » November 9th, 2005, 11:06 am

I think they should go to a 16 team playoff. It would run for about 4 weeks. If you allow all conference winners into the playoff, with 5 at large berth. This would equal 16 teams. The at large berths could be decided by the NCAA, like March Madness.

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 9th, 2005, 12:36 pm

Conference champions from the BCS conferences (SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Big East) and three at large berths based on a seeding committee's choices, I guess. That's pretty much how the basketball tournament works (except there's a lot more conferences involved).

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » November 10th, 2005, 3:57 am

Conference champions from the BCS conferences (SEC, Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Big East) and three at large berths based on a seeding committee's choices, I guess. That's pretty much how the basketball tournament works (except there's a lot more conferences involved).

Dolfan, while I love the idea of a playoff, I don't believe simply those conference champions and 3 at large berths would be enough. For example. Let's say LSU this week or Auburn next week defeats Alabama. So LSU plays UGA for SEC title. You would have to say the loser of that game should get an at-large bid.

Ohio St is not going to win the Big Ten, but would need to get an at-large bid.

How about Va. Tech not going to get into the ACC Championship Game but would deserve a bid much more than Fl. ST.

I think you have to go to 16 teams, like D-1AA does it.

Allow the Mid-American, CUSA, WAC Champs in that would still give you about 8 at-large berths to hand out.

Anyway that's my $.02 on it.

Rob
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Postby TC » November 11th, 2005, 9:40 am

(there is NOT two National Champs... My Pic was too big so I had to cut it in two parts)

All play in games and First round games would stay the same.

Any team with 6 Division I wins could play in one second tier bowl game

Any second tier bowl game that can be played on any dates other than the tournament game dates.

Second tier bowl games could have conference affiliations.

The conference winner’s brackets would rotate on a yearly basis. So that the winner of the Pac 10 over a 6 year period would play the winner of each other conference.

The Fiesta, Outback, Cotton, Gator, Sugar, Orange and Rose bowl would rotate each year between the Nation Championship game and the Semi finals and regional finals.

Opening Games would begin the second week in November.
Conference games to be played on Thanksgiving week end.
Regional games will be played First week in December.
Regional Finals will be played approx December 11th week.
Semi Final games would be played on December 25th.
Nation Championship games would be played on January 1st.
Any team losing in the beginning round or the Conference Championship game would play one second tier bowl.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » November 11th, 2005, 9:52 am

TC,

Someone from the NCAA needs to hire you as a consultant!

turbotim
I can see clearly now!

Postby turbotim » November 11th, 2005, 10:13 am

That's pretty cool TC.....

I like it!!!!!!!
Tim Cook------> Proud Daddy and Husband

Jesus is my ROCK!!

ImageImage

my space

dolfan
Established Member

Postby dolfan » November 11th, 2005, 10:53 am

I like it, too! Except, you left out Conference USA. (Hey, even Mid-America gets a play-in chance!)

I'd roll it back another 2 weeks, though.

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Postby TC » November 11th, 2005, 7:51 pm

Louisville was in CUSA and it have tried for years to forget them... I guess I did.

WELL to be fairl I guess I should put them in there. And I guess the best spot would be in the Ind #2 spot, Since really there is ONLY ONE team that clams to be independent. ( I think there is actually only 4 or 5.... ND, NAVY, Army and I think the last one is Temple... I could be wrong I never watch any of those teams)

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » November 12th, 2005, 11:34 am

TC,

I love the plan. Need to get you in touch with Myles Brand (NCAA President).

The only question that I have would be this. When would the season begin? Looks like if you start on Thanksgiving Weekend you would eliminate a bye week during the season. Because most schools do not conclude their regular season until Thanksgiving week.

The only different thing I would do is not play conference foes against each other. I'd take a #1 say in the Big East and play the #2 in the Big Ten and take the #2 and play the #1.

Other than that, looks great.

Rob
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

TC
Hey, hey, hey

Postby TC » November 12th, 2005, 12:56 pm

I know that would Shorten the season for some teams but for the big boys would play more. Also it would just require all games be over by the second week in Nov. You could always start the season 2 week early.

ON Mr Brand... he hasn't done ANYTHING for the NCAA but screw it up.. anything GOOD he has done his best to STOP IT... THe Nit was getting popular again soooo... the NCAA made rules to limit the number of tourneys ... THEN when they still coundn't stop it THey NCAA bought out the NIT... WHY so they could do what they wanted.... WHAT do you think will happen NOW..... THE NCAA will allow more game so they can get more money for their investment..... I mean the students..

Return to “Entertainment”