Amish in the City

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

forestwalker
The 1,000 Club

Amish in the City

Postby forestwalker » August 13th, 2004, 12:43 pm

Anyone been watching "Amish in the City"? I was pleasantly surprised. Thought it would be really insulting to the Amish, and maybe even to us, but it's pretty interesting.
For the truth that lies at the heart of theology is not something there to be discovered, but something, or rather someone, to whom we must surrender. The mystery of faith is not ultimately something that invites our questioning, but something that questions us.
Andrew Louth, Discerning the Mystery

Sherry

Postby Sherry » August 13th, 2004, 5:19 pm

I started watching it two weeks ago...it was really interesting to see the Amish and how they view things compared to the city kids. I was really shocked how rude the city kids were to the Amish. I loved it when some went to the handicap center...that was so priceless to see how both the city kids and Amish reached out. It seemed to bring them closer together. It's an interesting show. I'm curious to see which of the Amish will go back or stay.

forestwalker
The 1,000 Club

Postby forestwalker » August 13th, 2004, 7:26 pm

Yeah. I've seen a couple of episodes and enjoyed them. It's interesting seeing our world through their eyes. The choice they're facing is pretty compelling too. And that girl Ruth...I sure wouldn't turn down the chance of a date with her. :)
For the truth that lies at the heart of theology is not something there to be discovered, but something, or rather someone, to whom we must surrender. The mystery of faith is not ultimately something that invites our questioning, but something that questions us.

Andrew Louth, Discerning the Mystery

Ginger
Whoa!!
Whoa!!

Postby Ginger » August 14th, 2004, 3:48 pm

I've been watching it, it is real interesting watching the reactions of the Almish. A scipture did come to me, " Train up a child" and he won't depart. But, I do admire them for giving them the oppunity to decide for themselves.
I can do all things through Christ!

Sherry

Postby Sherry » September 10th, 2004, 12:07 pm

Well, looks like the city kids are gonna see what it's like to be Amish now....next weeks episode looks really interesting!!

This weeks was good....the makeovers were amazing! Ruth was gorgeous!

Who do you think of the Amish will return to their roots? I think Ruth, Mose, and Jonas will return...Miriam and Randy seem to me like the two most likely not to return. But I guess we'll see.

Methusala
Needs a LIFE

we're you surprised

Postby Methusala » September 12th, 2004, 11:09 am

we're you surprised at the language of the Amish kids and the clothing they wore? I wonder how long they have out checking out the world. I'm thinking it was a lot longer than just the beginning of the show.

I'm hooked though, wondering who will stay Amish - I think I missed some episodes , did they ever say if the boy got his GED? (I've forgotten his name)

Wendi
Jude 2 - Where salt can keep it's savor

Sherry

Re: we're you surprised

Postby Sherry » September 12th, 2004, 11:35 am

Methusala wrote:we're you surprised at the language of the Amish kids and the clothing they wore? I wonder how long they have out checking out the world. I'm thinking it was a lot longer than just the beginning of the show.

I'm hooked though, wondering who will stay Amish - I think I missed some episodes , did they ever say if the boy got his GED? (I've forgotten his name)

Wendi

I was surprised too by the language....the clothing, not so much, because they were trying new things and I see that the clothes would be the first to go!

I'm hooked too....Jonas is the one who went for his GED....they haven't said yet if he got it or not....I'm sure it'll be part of the season finale.

Mose is my favorite of the guys. He's a gentle giant. When he cried in church during the sermon about fathers......made me teary eyed! I predict he will go back home to the Amish.

Return to “Entertainment”