Terminator: Salvation

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Terminator: Salvation

Postby DeWayneTN » May 19th, 2009, 8:40 am

Saw this last night but haven't had time to write up a review yet. I'm a big fan of the Terminator movies, but this one left a little something to be desired. It's more like 'The Road Warrior' with John Connor instead of Mad Max. One good thing is that they have downgraded the new films to PG13 now, aiming for a broader audience.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Re: Terminator: Salvation

Postby DaJudge » May 19th, 2009, 11:53 am

DeWayneTN wrote:One good thing is that they have downgraded the new films to PG13 now, aiming for a broader audience.

If they had included Christian Bale's on-set rant at the lighting guy that went viral on YouTube, it would have been NC-17. :lol:

I liked how they tweaked Bale about the rant on the cover of EW this week. It says, "Terminator: Salvation. What don't you *@(#&! undertand?"

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » May 21st, 2009, 2:51 pm

My full review of the movie just posted:
http://newmanmag.com/e-magazine/052109/story2.php
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

justsam
Woohoo!

Postby justsam » May 25th, 2009, 5:06 am

There are some great action sequences that pay homage to the previous films and other sci-fi classics like Aliens and The Matrix

I spotted the following "homages" (more like complete ripoffs, if you ask me-and since no one did, I'm just saying):

Overall look of the scenery- Saving Private Ryan

Chase scene in diesel engine with cow-catcher welded on the front (even had the windshield getting shot out)- Road Warrior

Conflict between main character and "headquarters", river terminators, Marcus' scene @ SkyNet- the Matrix movies

Marcus escaping from the resistance- the great escape (he even crashed the motorcycle the exact same way as Steve McQeen)

Marcus' visit to Skynet- an amalgamation of I, Robot, AI, and The Matrix.

The big terminators- they didn't just look like transformers, they were transformers

Transformers, er Terminators picking up humans and dropping them in baskets they were carrying- War of the Worlds

Fleeing characters bringing the bad guys down on an enclave of refugees- 28 weeks later

Terminators using facial recognition software to track fugitives- Minority Report.

Opening up cells in SKYNET to reveal big, bad, monster- Resident Evil

They even ripped off other terminator movies! The scene where connor is fighting the T-600 in a factory?

These are just the ones I could think of sitting here. I was waiting for Reese to whip out a lightsaber and and tell John Connor "I am your father", to which Marcus would have replied- live long and prosper.

Also- how could John Connor destroy a terminator by shooting it? Why would terminators capture people instead of just killing them? How could they knock Marcus unconscious? How did Marcus float in the water? Don't they have someone who asks these questions?
Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? (Jesus)

Return to “Entertainment”