Kings

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

A2JGirl
Hall Of Fame

Kings

Postby A2JGirl » May 5th, 2009, 1:50 am

Has anyone watched this show?

It's kind of a retelling of Saul & David, set in modern times.

I just watched the 1 1/2 hr pilot on hulu.com (completely legal commercial paid for site). I hope the rest of the series will be this good... It's FANTASTIC and soooo neat to see the parallels. Makes me want to read the Biblical account again.

They have the first 5 episodes on hulu and it says that it is returning on June 14th.

(WARNING: The commercials they show are normally tame, and the same company over and over... this time we got a random ad campaign for safe sex that broadsided us. NOT the norm but wanted to warn you just in case.)
(Another warning... there is a comment saying that God made someone a homosexual. It's in passing. Just wanted to warn you in case someone watches this and says Rachel approved THIS? Doubt you would, but just in case.) :-) </end_disclaimer>
Last edited by A2JGirl on May 5th, 2009, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Only

Postby Pastor Gary » May 5th, 2009, 2:01 am

My only hesitation about the series was that they obviously frame the Jon/David relationship to have gay-attraction undertones.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

A2JGirl
Hall Of Fame

Postby A2JGirl » May 5th, 2009, 2:08 am

I just edited my post to include the homosexual reference, and then you had posted while I was typing.... I SO did not think of that PG!

*SPOILER*

Towards the end of the pilot the King tells his son that he knows his secret and says, "We give up what we want to get power. You cannot be what God made you, not if you want to take my place." So far, the prince is not portrayed as a good guy. David is definitely NOT a homosexual at all and so far, they are far from being friends.

That does stink though. I didn't think about the Jack/Jonathan and David friendship. I hope they don't go there.

Return to “Entertainment”