American Idol 2009

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

Pastor Bill
---=== J2 ===---

Postby Pastor Bill » May 15th, 2009, 3:32 am

Pastor Rob wrote:
Pastor Bill wrote:Yes the judges have, but that's also their job, and they do point out good and bad in all. Ryan and most of the guests stay pretty away from it.

I didn't think it was there job to pick a winner, I thought it was there job to point out how they can improve their performance and what they liked about the performance. If that's the case then Adam win's hands down.

I know, but where they are judging and giving advice, you're going to know which ones they promote, but even in that they been encouraging to all, and told more than one they'd be around the next week.
"Why would God allow Hitler his chapter in history? Why would God send a whale to swallow Jonah or turn a woman into a pillar of salt? Surely there were other ways. But I'll leave the particular methods of God to God."
-Spoken by David Abraham, Showdown by Ted Dekker

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 20th, 2009, 3:38 am

Interesting Finale performances.

I really liked Kris' version of Aint No Sunshine.

Adam nailed Sam Cooke's song, Change is Gonna Come.

The last song of the night was a dud for both singers.

I still cant stand Carrie Underwoods version of Home Sweet Home. I keep wondering why in the world did the not have someone a bit more "rocker" sing this one. And more importantly, can they not find a more current song instead of using one nearly 20 years old?
Let the wild rumpus start!

Darling
Woohoo!

Postby Darling » May 20th, 2009, 10:03 am

Amen, amen, amen!

Rob
Hey, hey, hey

Postby Rob » May 21st, 2009, 2:46 am

WOW! what a finale last night, I thought it was awesome. And I'm so glad Chris won!!!!
If I were to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for business. I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out right, what is said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right will make no difference." -Abraham Lincoln

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » May 21st, 2009, 2:55 am

Great show! I loved the Kara moment and so many of the performances. And yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that Kris won!
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » May 21st, 2009, 3:27 am

DeWayneTN wrote:Great show! I loved the Kara moment and so many of the performances. And yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that Kris won!

The Kara and Bikini girl segment made the show for me (well that and the fact that Adam lost). When Kara came out belting that song and overshadowed Bikini Girl (and the look on her face), I loved it.

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 21st, 2009, 3:38 am

I figured Adam would sing with Queen or Aerosmith. But when the opening notes of Beth started, I couldnt believe he would sing with KISS...loved every minute of it. I thought that would be the highlight for me. Then out comes Santana and to top it off Queen does show up.

Overall, best finale so far in terms of special guests. I guess the music business is giving a bit more credibility to the show?

Regardless of who won, they'll both be successful.

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » May 21st, 2009, 6:22 am

Yeah, Paully. I didn't like Adam, but that KISS segment was awesome.

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » May 21st, 2009, 6:26 am

Of, course, now that I think of it Paully, Adam should have changed the words to "Beth". Maybe it should have gone something like: "Frank, I know you're lonely, but I know you'll be all right, but me and the boy's will be playing all night". Or "Earl, I hear you calling, but I can't come home right now..."

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 21st, 2009, 6:29 am

DaJudge wrote:Of, course, now that I think of it Paully, Adam should have changed the words to "Beth". Maybe it should have gone something like: "Frank, I know you're lonely, but I know you'll be all right, but me and the boy's will be playing all night". Or "Earl, I hear you calling, but I can't come home right now..."

Or Clay, I hear you calling?

Honestly, preference really doesnt bother me. Judas Priest, Queen... etc.... I for one, never stopped listening.

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » May 21st, 2009, 7:54 am

Here's a video of the new AI winner singing "God of This City"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjuLGqqb05E
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

A2JGirl
Hall Of Fame

Postby A2JGirl » May 21st, 2009, 8:59 am

I wonder what church that is. We drive through Conway, AR every time we go visit my parents. Go Arkansas!

Paully_44
Established Member

Postby Paully_44 » May 21st, 2009, 9:21 am

DeWayneTN wrote:Here's a video of the new AI winner singing "God of This City"

cool song.

it has a cool Paul Baloche and Chris Tomlin vibe to it.

A2JGirl
Hall Of Fame

Postby A2JGirl » May 21st, 2009, 9:22 am

It is a Chris Tomlin song, I think.

Pastor Gary
Kahu Gary, Benevolent Dictator

Tomlin

Postby Pastor Gary » May 21st, 2009, 11:38 am

Paully_44 wrote:
DeWayneTN wrote:Here's a video of the new AI winner singing "God of This City"

cool song.

it has a cool Paul Baloche and Chris Tomlin vibe to it.

Tomlin. We do the song at Reunion, but that video includes verses I have never heard... not sure if those are Tomlin's or the local band expanded the song.

My personal view of the Kris defeat of Adam: It was a red-state revenge. Since the Obama election and national shift left, a lot of conservative, church-going, traditional Americans have felt disenfranchised and disrespected by states approving same-sex marriage, Prop-8 protestors interfering with churches, the Miss California debacle... and the AI voters saw a way to get a lick in against creeping liberalism. I also think that the conservative/Christian vote was split between Gokey and Kris, and that Gokey was the better singer of the two; when he was eliminated, all his voters swung to Kris.

I also think it was a landslide. They didn't announce it as close, didn't say "only x votes separated the two..." as they do when it is close.
"God is excited to show you mercy. He rises to give you His compassion." (Isaiah 30:18)

"For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous;
you surround them with your favor as with a shield." (Psalm 5:12)

Return to “Entertainment”