I'm glad I don't actively read comics anymore...

A forum for the discussion of TV, movies, music and pop-culture influences from a Christian perspective. A free-wheeling forum for discussion of Christian issues.

Moderators: Pastor Gary, The J2 Mod Squad

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

I'm glad I don't actively read comics anymore...

Postby DaJudge » January 19th, 2009, 6:17 am

DC has jumped the shark with the death of Batman mess. First of all, it was stupid to kill off Batman (who they will, of course resurrect within a year).

Now, though, they are doing a "Battle for the Cowl" series, with 4 people vying for being the real Batman.

Remind you of anything? Let me give you a hint. Superboy. Steel. Eradicator. Cyborg Superman. Ring any bells? Are the powers that be at DC capable of original thought?

Why are they rehashing an idea that was stupid when they did it with the Death of Superman 15 years ago?

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » January 19th, 2009, 6:28 am

Yes, it does feel very rehashed, especially in light of the Death of Captain America, because I suspect Dick Grayson will be the new Batman, just as Bucky is the new Captain America. :-) I think they believe the spirit of Batman is more important than Bruce Wayne but they are underestimating his popularity.
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)
Visit my blog: www.dewaynehamby.com

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » January 19th, 2009, 8:39 am

DeWayneTN wrote:Yes, it does feel very rehashed, especially in light of the Death of Captain America, because I suspect Dick Grayson will be the new Batman, just as Bucky is the new Captain America. :-) I think they believe the spirit of Batman is more important than Bruce Wayne but they are underestimating his popularity.

I thought Bucky was dead?

If they don't intend to revive Bruce Wayne (and you know they will), they'd better replace him with Grayson. No one else will do.

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » January 19th, 2009, 9:21 am

DaJudge wrote:I thought Bucky was dead?

Well so was Jason Todd. And he's back, also. The question is who died and has stayed dead? Certainly not:

-Elektra
-Jean Grey
-Green Arrow
-Hal Jordan
-Captain Marvel
-Supergirl
-Barry Allen
"...The life you see me living is not 'mine,' but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not going to go back on that."- Galatians 19:20 (The Message)

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » January 19th, 2009, 9:45 am

Has the original Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) come back to life yet?

I don't look at the Batman mess as terrible comics or even rehashing whats been done before: Face it. Comics have been around long enough that it's hard to do something new.

The photo posted looks well drawn and for me that's over half what makes a comic book good (did you ever read a comic faithfully that had crappy art?)

The problem with Batman is the inate fraility of having a human being Batman. Bruce Wayne must get old. I would rather he discover the fountain of youth or that he's actually Clark Kents long lost half brother held in check by kryptonite etched adamantium skeleton or some such.

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » January 19th, 2009, 9:49 am

Gerald Creasy wrote:
The problem with Batman is the inate fraility of having a human being Batman. Bruce Wayne must get old.

Yeah, but you don't have to worry about that if you reboot the whole DC Universe every 10 years or so. Remember Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis?

:lol: :lol:

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » January 19th, 2009, 9:50 am

DeWayneTN wrote:-Barry Allen

Did they bring back Barry Allen? I missed that one.

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » January 19th, 2009, 9:51 am

Yeah, Barry is pretty recent.

MacUser
Established Member

Postby MacUser » January 23rd, 2009, 5:11 am

Gerald Creasy wrote:The problem with Batman is the inate fraility of having a human being Batman. Bruce Wayne must get old. I would rather he discover the fountain of youth or that he's actually Clark Kents long lost half brother held in check by kryptonite etched adamantium skeleton or some such.

Ahhh.. now some original THOUGHT. Fantastic read, if ever done. Bravo.
Chris -

... Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world!
John 1:29

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » January 23rd, 2009, 6:03 am

MacUser wrote:
Gerald Creasy wrote:The problem with Batman is the inate fraility of having a human being Batman. Bruce Wayne must get old. I would rather he discover the fountain of youth or that he's actually Clark Kents long lost half brother held in check by kryptonite etched adamantium skeleton or some such.

Ahhh.. now some original THOUGHT. Fantastic read, if ever done. Bravo.

Yeah, let's make Batman into Wolverine :roll: What makes the Batman character great is that he IS human. And yet, he uses his human abilities to their fullest to command the respect of even the most powerful of heroes.

Gerald, they did an Elseworlds story similar to your fountain of youth idea once. It was written by John Byrne I think, and I believe it was called "Generations", or some such. It allowed Bruce and Clark to age in real time, going from the 30's on into the far future. Bruce ended up surviving because he used Ra's al Guhl's Lazarus Pit to keep himself alive.

DeWayneTN
-= J2 =-

Postby DeWayneTN » January 23rd, 2009, 7:01 am

DaJudge wrote:Yeah, let's make Batman into Wolverine :roll:

It's been done. Does anyone remember Dark Claw? :-)

Shellie
Site Admin

Postby Shellie » January 23rd, 2009, 7:55 am

Personally, I think Kiefer should be the next Batman.
There never was a horse that couldn't be rode and there never was a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » January 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

If you would pause from being Dajerk...I never said make him into Wolverine.

DaJudge wrote:What makes the Batman character great is that he IS human. And yet, he uses his human abilities to their fullest to command the respect of even the most powerful of heroes.

Yet it is ALSO what makes him the most unbelievable. The human body would wear out after a night or two of the average Batman escapades.

DaJudge wrote: Gerald, they did an Elseworlds story similar to your fountain of youth idea once. It was written by John Byrne I think, and I believe it was called "Generations", or some such. It allowed Bruce and Clark to age in real time, going from the 30's on into the far future. Bruce ended up surviving because he used Ra's al Guhl's Lazarus Pit to keep himself alive.

Gerald Creasy

Postby Gerald Creasy » January 23rd, 2009, 10:04 am

DeWayneTN wrote:

It's been done. Does anyone remember Dark Claw? :-)

I was disappointed the whole Amalgam thing didnt go over bigger than it did.

I have Dark Claw and the Wonderwoman/Storm combo whatever they called her.

DaJudge
-= J2 =-

Postby DaJudge » January 23rd, 2009, 3:30 pm

Well excuse me Gerald I don't know why your adamantium skeleton idea would have lead me to think you MIGHT be referring to Wolverine. :lol:

As for believable, he and Green Arrow are the some of the ONLY believable superheroes.

Superman and Green Lantern are believable? Batman could actually exist in the real world. None of the rest of these guys could. I think that's why I always liked Batman. I could be Batman. I could never be Superman.

Return to “Entertainment”